Kitchen Corner

December 2, 2009

Scones (Savoury)

I made some savory scones this morning and it took me no time to get a fresh yet delicious scones out from the oven. It's truly yummy with some cheese and back bacon added. I must say the crumbly and fluffy texture is a winner. One thing for sure it's got to be eaten warm. Anyway, it's really a simple and no much time consuming recipe that you can make it at anytime either in the morning or make it for afternoon tea. For me, it's my all time favorite snack! This great recipe came from "Do What I Like". I've slightly changed the recipe as I made it into a savoury version. The first thing I do is making the buttermilk by adding two teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to 150ml of full fat milk and let it stand for 30 minutes. If you've got the commercial buttermilk and that will safe you some time. While I was waiting for the buttermilk, I chopped two slices of back bacon and fried them in a pan until it slightly golden brown. Turn off the heat and let it cool down while I continue with other stuffs. Roughly cut 30g of cheddar cheese into little cubes. It don't have to be in good shape as it will melt and stick at the scones when it bakes in the oven. Shift 200g self-raising flour into a large bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Give it a quick stir to combine with the flour. Roughly cut 50g of butter and quickly tuck it into the flour and rub in the butter until a crumbly consistency, it don't have to be well combined, you would rather let those tiny bits of butter stay in the flour. Just don't over combine. This took less then a minutes to combine and by this time the homemade buttermilk should be ready. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour in 2/3 of the buttermilk and use chopstick to mix everything until it turn into a mess. You don't want a smooth round dough but a sticky and messy mixture. If dough is too dry, add in more buttermilk. For me, 2/3 is more than enough for the mixture.Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured working surface, add the fried bacon and cheddar cheese. Using both hand to bring everything together and pat the mixture into 2cm thickness. Cut the dough with 5.5cm floured cutter and pressed all the way down without twisting or turning the cutter. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper then glaze the surface with some leftover buttermilk. For more cheesy texture, sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top. Bake in a preheated oven at 220C for 15 minutes. Serve warm and no jam or cream needed. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is absolutely delicious !! Earlier I also baked the English cheese scone (my sister-in-law taught me), I love it but not my kids, they like sweet type, so I have no chance to bake it again..

Quinn said...

Your savoury scones is a close resemblance to Florence's; if not dare I say it, better! In terms of height and texture, yours is definitely a winner! Good job Grace!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Such nicely baked scones! I have not tasted savory scones before, but yours definitely looks very inviting. ;) Thanks for sharing this recipe.

In a CakeBox said...

I've been seeing scones popping in various blogs, but i've never tasted scones before! Wonder how it taste like, maybe shld try it out one of these days ;-)

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Wonderful scones to kick start the day ?

Happy Homebaker said...

What can I say?! Your scones look so delicious! Can I have one please?!!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Sonia,
I noticed not many people like scones especially Asian. Sometimes I like sweet scones but this time I would like to try out savoury one. It's truly delicious.

Hi Quinn,
Hey, thanks for your lovely words, it's very encouraging. I still have lots more to learn from you.

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Thanks Bee! This scones would be quite appetizing when you're not looking for sweet stuffs. You could try out any scone recipes and just change the ingredients to the savoury one. By the way, where are you now?

Hi bakingoncloud9,
You could buy from any bakery shop to taste first. If you like it, then try out any recipes to suit you. Either sweet scones filled with raisin, nut or savoury one with bacon, ham, cheese etc..enjoy!

Hi A Full-Timed Housefly,
Yes, breakfast for me is quite important to start a new day :)

Hi HHB,
Thanks for your nice words! It's always very encouraging as I admire your cooks and bakes a lot!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Grace,
I'm still in Malaysia, PJ. Will only move down to Spore after Xmas. ;) Why? Are you coming up?

Pei-Lin said...

Hi Grace!

I love your blog's new layout & template! Fits its name exactly!! The scones look so good!!

Yes, I'm going to make scones someday ... I love them in their simplest form ... with clotted cream/creme fraiche/whipped cream & jam!!

Pei-Lin

Blessed Homemaker said...

I've not tried savoury scones before, but will definitely make it one day. Your scones has a good height and look yummy!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
WOW! I'm so happy you'll be moving down to Singapore. I can't disturb you then :P for more good foods!

Hi Dodol & Mochi,
Yeah, I feel quite boring with my old template so give it a change. It's still not very good one but will use it until I find another better one :P
Please try the scones and tell me whether you like it yea!

Hi Blessed Homemaker,
I feel the recipe is quite good. You could make sweet one or savoury one :) Try and tell me your experiment yea :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
I love your new blog! It's so beautiful and refreshing, just like you! ;) Suits the name, the contents, and the blogger! :))

Food For Tots said...

Grace, your new blog layout is cool! Love it very much! We love scones a lot but haven't tried savoury scones. Will definitely try it out soon!

Kitchen Corner said...

Thanks Jane! Glad you enjoy the new look of this blog. I think sometime got to change a bit otherwise very boring, right?! Just hope that everyone will enjoy dropping by at my blog :P cheers!

Thanks Food For Tots, hope you enjoy reading a new look of my blog. And, please try out savoury scones, you might like it :P look forward to read your scones baking ok :)